Immigration Law Firm Alexandria

Temporary Nonimmigrant Work Visas

Our immigration law firm represents individuals, businesses, employees, students, writers and many others obtain a temporary nonimmigrant work visa.  

A temporary nonimmigrant work visa is offered to those in business, science, media, sports and athletics. When your visa expires, you must leave the United States unless you have applied for Legal Permanent Residency.

Our firm helps businesses and organizations with a myriad of immigration concerns. Whether the business is a multinational corporation, a non-profit or a small or medium-sized business, we can provide the guidance needed to navigate the complex world of U.S. immigration law.

Business Immigration Law Firm

Mitchell & Serrano provides expert immigration advice and total dedication to our clients. As Global Business Immigration Lawyers, clients include employers and businesses, academics, scientists, artists and athletes. The firm represents many seeking an H-1B, H-2B, I visa for representatives of foreign media, L-1A visa for intracompany transferees as executives or managers, an E-1 and E-2, O-1 for extraordinary ability and P-visas for athletes and performers, among others. With decades of experience, our firm can help your business or organization solve the complex world of U.S. immigration law.

Our immigration law firm provides representation for companies abroad and here at home. If you are a foreign investor, we can assist you in with all of your requests for employment visas. We can also ensure that the appropriate applications are submitted at a consulate office or U.S. embassy.  Contact us if you need advice on the transfer of valuable employees to the United States.

Immigration Law Firm

Labor Certifications and I-9 Compliance

Our firm provides employment immigration services for businesses that want to hire employees from abroad. We acquire labor certifications for foreign national employees and ensure compliance with the I-9 process.

The employment-based immigration process aimed at Permanent Residency begins with labor certification. Our firm is experienced in guiding your business throughout this process.

The United States Department of Labor approves a labor certification when it determines that there are no available and qualified workers in the U.S. for the job in question. The Labor Department must also ensure compliance with prevailing wages, account for the geographic area in question and ensure that hiring a foreign worker will not adversely effect wages of other workers in the U.S.

This Labor Certification process operates under the Program Electronic Review Management (PERM). Our firm advises employers on how to comply with the filing of ETA Form 9089. We provide assistance to make sure that our business clients are in full compliance.

For example, employers are required to post two job announcements and engage in other specific recruitment methods within 30 days of filing for PERM.

Mitchell & Serrano has extensive experience representing businesses with immigration concerns. Contact us for more detailed information on the critical time requirements for labor certification.

Consular Processing

United States consulates and embassies throughout the world process both immigrant and non-immigrant visa applications. An immigrant visa qualifies an applicant for Permanent Residency.  A non-immigrant visa is for applicants who want to reside temporarily in the United States for employment or some other limited purpose. For example, treaty traders or investors, students, visitors, temporary professionals, exchange visitors, fiancés of U.S. citizens, intra-company transferees and family members.

Our firm has extensive experience in representing individuals interested in any of these visas. 

Family Immigration Law Firm Washington D.C.

Our firm helps families come together in the United States with visas, permanent residency, deferred action and citizenship. We can help also address concerns you may have about asylum, refugees and deportation defense. If you have questions about marriage visas, fiancé visas, adjustment of status or waivers, please get in touch with us.

Green Card through Marriage to a U.S. Citizen

The government does not limit the number of green cards based upon marriage.  It is a popular method by which a foreign individual can immigrate to the United States.  The couple must be legally married and the petitioning spouse must prove that he or she is able to financially support the beneficiary of the marriage green card. Contact us for help to accurately complete the form I-130 and more information about family marriage visas.

Permanent Residency for the Spouse of a LPR

The government imposes an annual limit on the number of marriage visas it will issue to spouses of Legal Permanent Residents. It can take between a few months and several years for the process to be complete.

K3 Visa: Spouse of a United States Citizen

This visa permits a foreign spouse to enter the United States on a temporary basis while the Adjustment of Status process is pending. This way the foreign spouse can remain in the United States. Under certain circumstances, the foreign spouse may obtain employment authorization

How does someone with a J-1 Visa obtain a Green Card? Our immigration law firm is here to answer your questions.

If your J-1 visa has a two-year foreign residency requirement, then you must return home for two years before applying for the green card.  Under Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.), you may have to return home and be physically present in your home country for two years before applying.

How do I know if I am required to return home for 2 years?

Your visa stamp will include a statement about this restriction.  And you can also see your form DS-2019.

Does the issue of immigration intent matter?

When someone applies for the J-1 visa, they must prove that they have the intent to return home once they complete the purpose of their trip.  In other words, they cannot intend to become an immigrant at the time of the visa application.

Sometimes things change, such as marrying a U.S. citizen or finding an employer that wants to sponsor you for a green card.  If you find new employment, you may be able to change your status to H-1B.

I have a J-1 Visa and plan to marry a U.S. citizen.  Can an immigration law firm help me get a green card?

You may be required to return home first.  If you are subject to the 2-year foreign residency requirement, then you will have to return home.  You can always apply for a waiver.

I checked my J-1 Visa and it says: “Two Year Rule Does Not Apply.”  Can I get a green card without going home?

Yes, if you marry a U.S. citizen you will be able to apply to adjust status immediately.  You can then obtain a green card without returning home.

What is an O Visa?

These are provided to individuals with “extraordinary ability” in the arts, science, education, business and athletics.  O visas are issued for three years but they may be extended for one-year periods.

alt="Global Immigration Law Firm"


We can help immigrants take the steps necessary to obtain full citizenship. We will guide you every step of the way as your journey leads you to the ultimate goal of being a full-fledged U.S. citizen.

If you are married to a U.S. citizen we will ensure that you receive all the rights you deserve.

In 2021, President Biden proposed comprehensive immigration reform to allow non-citizens the right to lawfully remain in the United States.

The citizenship process starts with undocumented individuals applying for temporary legal status and then subsequently applying for Permanent Residence (green card) after five years.  Applicants would need to demonstrate payment of taxes and pass criminal and background investigations.

The White House proposes that Dreamers, TPS holders, and certain immigrant farmworkers would be immediately eligible for Permanent Residency once the bill becomes law.

Applications for U.S. Citizenship would be accepted three years after the issuance of a green card, with additional background checks and successful completion of a citizenship test.  In order to apply, an applicant must have been physically present in the United States on or before January 1, 2021.

Please check back often for important updates on immigration reform efforts.

IMMIGRANT VISAS: Permanent Residence Via Employment


Green Card Through Marriage

G Visa: Frequently Asked Questions

What is a G-1 Visa?

A diplomatic nonimmigrant visa for the principal representative of a foreign government at a United Nations Organization or an International Mission.

What is a G-2 Visa?

A diplomatic nonimmigrant visa for the accredited representatives of recognized foreign governments at a United Nations Organization or an International Mission.

What is a G-3 Visa?

A diplomatic nonimmigrant visa for the representatives of unrecognized foreign governments at a United Nations Organization or an International Mission

What is a G-4 Visa?

Employees of International Organizations (for example: World Bank, International Monetary Fund).

What is a G-5 Visa?

This is a nonimmigrant visa permitting U.S. entry of the attendants, servants, au pairs or personal employees of principal G visa holders.  A G-5 visa is valid for three years.

Total Dedication

Regardless of your immigration concern, you can count on the experience of our immigration law firm and our dedication to you.

Our immigration law firm can assist you with obtaining permanent residency, citizenship, marriage-based adjustment, work or other type of visas, deportation defense and asylum. An immigration lawyer can also assist your business immigration issues by obtaining a Professional Foreign Workers Visa (H-1B), a Temporary Nonagricultural Workers Visa (H-2B), a Temporary Visitor for Business (B-1), a student visa, a visa for Persons of Extraordinary Ability (O-1) and others.

Please contact us for more information about your case so that we may determine and then pursue your best option.

With our immigration law firm on your side, you will have an immigration lawyer directly available to you. Contact us at 202-330-6290 or fill out the form above to schedule a consultation.

How do I get a Waiver?

If you are an applicant seeking permanent residence, you may be able to obtain a waiver of certain criminal conduct or other immigration violations by proving that your spouse or parent (who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident) is experiencing hardship.

An immigration lawyer will investigate and determine if you qualify by doing a thorough analysis of your situation. Generally, your home country cannot object and you may have to show that your spouse or child would face hardship if you had to return home.

If you are inadmissible to the United States based upon a prior immigration violation or due to a criminal conviction, please contact us today. We may be able to file for a nonimmigrant visa waiver. This will waive the ground of inadmissibility and allow you to enter the United States.

Many inadmissibility grounds may be waived by the nonimmigrant visa waiver. First, though, the application must be approved by immigration. Contact an immigration lawyer today for more information.