B-1 or B-2 Visitor Visa | Alexandria Immigration Law Firm

Visitor Visas

Our firm regularly prepares and submits applications for a B-1 or B-2 Nonimmigrant Visa for Visitors on behalf of our well-qualified clients.  

A business visitor receives a B-1 visa and a tourist receives a B-2 visa. An individual coming to the United States for both purposes receives a B1 B2 visa.

What are examples of a B-1 Business Visa?

To receive a B-1 business visa, your stay in the United States must be to conduct business or to consult with business associates. You may also be attending a convention or conference related to your profession.

What are examples of a B-2 Tourist Visa?

To receive a B-2 tourist visa, your visit in the United States must be for a vacation, to visit family or friends, to receive medical treatment or to participate in a social event. You may also receive a B-2 tourist visa if you are participating as an amateur in a musical or athletic event. Finally, the B-2 tourist visa is awarded to those who are enrolled in a brief recreational course of study.

What are the qualifications for the B-1 Visa?

  • You must reside permanently outside of the United States with the full intention of returning home
  • Your trip is for a limited business purpose
  • A specific and limited period of time is requested for the B-1 visa
  • The cost of your trip to and from the United States must be affordable to you
  • While you are in the United States with a B-1 visa, you will have enough money to cover your expenses
  • There are no other reasons to bar your admission to the United States

Can I work with a B-1 or B-2 Visa?

You may not work in the United States with either a B-1 or B-2 visa.

When does the B-1 visa expire?

The B-1 visa is good for 1 to 6 months. Extensions of stay, if granted, are for up to 6 months per extension. The maximum total amount of time is usually 1 year.

If a B-1 visa holder would like to remain in the United States past the date on the Form I-94 without leaving this country, then a Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, must be filed.

Please contact us for more information and a review of all supporting documents which must also be submitted.

Will my family also be granted admission to the United States?

The spouse and children under 21 must apply separately for a B-2 visa because they are not eligible for a dependent visa.

Total Dedication

Whether your immigration concern is for a B1 B2 visa or some other issue, you can count on our experience and dedication.

Our immigration law firm can assist you with obtaining permanent residency, citizenship, marriage-based adjustment, work or other type of visas, deportation defense and asylum. An immigration lawyer can also assist your business immigration issues by fully evaluating your case before applying for the appropriate visa. 

Please contact us for more information about your case so that we may determine and then pursue your best option.

With our firm on your side, you will have an immigration lawyer directly available to you. Call us at 202-330-6290 to schedule a consultation.