E-1 Treaty Traders Non Immigrant Visa | Alexandria Immigration Law Firm

Temporary Non-Immigrant Work Visas

A non-immigrant visa grants you temporary stay in the United States. When your visa expires, you must leave the United States unless you have applied for Legal Permanent Residency. 

What is the E-1 Treaty Traders Non-Immigrant Visa?

The E-1 nonimmigrant classification grants a national of a treaty country admission to the United States.  However, entry into the U.S. is only permitted in order to engage in international trade on his or her own behalf.  In addition, some employees of E-1 Treaty Traders may also be eligible.

Click here for a list of treaty countries.

What We Can Do For You

Our business immigration law firm can file Form I-129 to request a change of status to E-1 classification under some circumstances. The treaty trader must currently be in the United States in a lawful nonimmigrant status in order to adjust status. We will help determine whether the E-1 is the best option available. Contact us for more information about a specific situation.

Our immigration attorneys work alongside global companies to help employers streamline the application process and to ensure you get the professional expertise you deserve.

Is there a cap on E-1 Treaty Traders visas?

The government does not cap or limit the number of E-1 visas for treaty traders that it issues each year.

How Long Can You Stay in the U.S. with a E-1 Non-Immigrant Visa?

Two years for treaty traders and employees. You may request an extension in increments of two years and there is no limit to the number of extensions that may be granted.

What are the qualifications for the E-1 visa?

  • National of a country that has a treaty of commerce and navigation with the United States
  • Perform substantial trade
  • Perform trade between the United States and the relevant treaty country

Which Forms Are Submitted for the E-1 Nonimmigrant Visa?

I-129 Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker

I-539 for Spouses and Dependent Children

I-765 for Spouses of E-1 Treaty Traders seeking work authorization

Family of E-1 Treaty Traders

Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 may accompany treaty traders.  Employment authorization for spouses of E-1 workers require the filing of Form I-765. Generally, dependent children are not authorized to work.

Total Dedication

Whether your immigration concern is for an E-1 treaty trader non-immigrant visa or something else, you can count on our experience and dedication.

Our immigration law firm can assist you with obtaining permanent residency, citizenship, marriage-based adjustment, work or other type of visas, deportation defense and asylum. An immigration lawyer can also assist your business immigration issues by obtaining a Professional Foreign Workers Visa (H-1B), a Temporary Nonagricultural Workers Visa (H-2B), a Temporary Visitor for Business (B-1), a student visa, a visa for Persons of Extraordinary Ability (O-1) and others.

Please contact us for more information about your case so that we may determine and then pursue your best option. With our firm on your side, you will have an immigration lawyer directly available to you. Contact us to schedule a consultation.

Consular Processing

Our immigration law firm represents world-wide clients in business, academia and other professional arts. Contact our experienced firm for help with consular processing and any other concern. We help design practical solutions that are tailor-made for our global clients. We work with employers, human resource managers and executives to solve your immigration challenges.