Exchange Visitors J-1 Visa | Alexandria Immigration Law Firm

Nonimmigrant Visas

Our firm regularly prepares and submits applications for a J-1 Visa for Exchange Visitors on behalf of our well-qualified clients.  

J-1 nonimmigrant visa holders are sponsored by an exchange program. The J-1 exchange visitor visa is awarded to individuals who will be engaged in teaching, researching, consulting or training activities. It is also offered to those who are pursuing either medical education or training.

Who qualifies as an Exchange Visitor for the J-1 Visa?

Generally, J-1 Visa holders are engaged in one the following activities:

Au Pairs 

Camp counselors 





How do I apply for a J-1 Visa?

You would begin by fililng Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status. Often, your sponsor is involved in this process. Please contact us for more information about this form.

The next step is to apply for a J-1 exchange visitors visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Can I work with a J-1 Visa?

It depends. If your exchange program permits it, then you may be able to work while in the United States. However, some J-1 exchange programs do not authorize employment. 

Will my family gain admission to the United States?

The spouse and children under 21 of a J-1 visa holder are also able to enter the United States. They will receive a J-2 visa. They may also obtain employment authorization.

Can I get a waiver of the two-year foreign residence requirement?

You may submit a Form I-612, Application for Waiver of the Foreign Residence Requirement as a J-1 or J-2 visa holder to apply for a waiver.

Total Dedication

Whether your immigration concern is for a J-1 exchange visitors visa or some other issue, you can count on our experience and dedication.

Our immigration law firm can assist you with obtaining permanent residency, citizenship, marriage-based adjustment, work or other type of visas, deportation defense and asylum. An immigration lawyer can also assist your business immigration issues by fully evaluating your case before applying for the appropriate visa. 

Please contact us for more information about your case so that we may determine and then pursue your best option.

With our firm on your side, you will have an immigration lawyer directly available to you. Contact us to schedule a consultation.