I Visa Foreign Media | Alexandria Immigration Law Firm

Temporary Non-Immigrant Work Visas

A non-immigrant visa grants you temporary stay in the United States. When your visa expires, you must leave the United States unless you have applied for Legal Permanent Residency. 

If you are a member of the media in a foreign country, you may qualify for an I Visa to enter and work in the United States.

What are the Qualifications for an I Visa?

  • Work for a foreign information media outlet, including press, radio, film, or television
  • Your travel to the United States must be to pursue your career in media
  • Your principal office must be located in a foreign country

When does the I visa expire?

The I visa is good for the time authorized on Form I-94. You do not need to apply for an extension of stay provided that you continue working for the same employer. 

If your I-94 includes a date on which your authorized stay expires, then you would file a Form I-539 to extend or change your nonimmigrant status.

Family of I Visa Holders

The spouse of a foreign media representatives I visa holder and children under the age of 21 may be eligible to apply for an I nonimmigrant visa. However, they may not obtain work authorization.

Your family can pursue educational goals while in the United States and do not need to apply for an F-1 nonimmigrant student visa.

If your spouse and children will not be residing in the United States and will only be visiting, they may obtain a B-2 nonimmigrant visa, or travel without a nonimmigrant visa if qualified.

Total Dedication

Whether your immigration concern is for nonimmigrant temporary work visa as foreign media representatives or some other issue, you can count on our experience and dedication.

Our immigration law firm can assist you with obtaining permanent residency, citizenship, marriage-based adjustment, work or other type of visas, deportation defense and asylum. An immigration lawyer can also assist your business immigration issues by obtaining a Professional Foreign Workers Visa (H-1B), a Temporary Nonagricultural Workers Visa (H-2B), a Temporary Visitor for Business (B-1), a student visa, a visa for Persons of Extraordinary Ability (O-1) and others.

Is it possible to change status to the I nonimmigrant visa?

You may file Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. It is also required that you include proof of your current status with a letter from your current employer in the foreign media. You could also apply for a change in status if you currently have an I nonimmigrant temporary visa and would like to change employers or even the type of information medium in which you currently work.

Please contact us for more information about your case so that we may determine and then pursue your best option.

With our firm on your side, you will have an immigration lawyer directly available to you. Contact us to schedule a consultation.