Student F Visa | M Visa | Alexandria Immigration Law Firm

Student Visas

Our firm regularly prepares and submits applications for Student Nonimmigrant Visas on behalf of our well-qualified clients. A student F visa and M visas are for those who would like to pursue full-time academic or vocational studies. The F visa is for academic students and the M visa is for vocational students.

What types of student visas exist?

The F1 visa is for academic students

The F2 visa is for the spouse and children of an F-1 visa holder

The F3 visa is for academic students from Canada and Mexico

The M1 visa is for vocational students

The M2 visa is for the spouse and children of an M-1 visa holder

The M3 visa is for vocational students from Canada and Mexico

What are the qualifications for either the F-1 or M-1 visa?

In order to qualify for the F-1 student visa, you must enroll in an academic educational program. The M-1 visa requires your enrollment in a vocational course of study. Both visas require that your enrollment as a full-time student.

The school you plan on attending must be approved by the government’s Student and Exchange Visitors Program for visa issuance. You must either demonstrate proficiency in english or pursue a course of study to learn english.

These visas also require proof that you still have a residence outside of the United States and that you can financially support yourself while studying here.

Can I obtain employment with a student visa?

If you have an F-1 visa you may only work on-campus during your first year of study. Following completion of your first year, you may work off-campus via the following types of employment: Optional Practical Training (OPT), Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).

There may be other situations in which an F-1 student may work off-campus. Please contact our office for more information. 

An M-1 student visa holder may only work in practical training after the completion of the course of study.

Total Dedication

Whether your immigration concern is for a F or M student visa or some other issue, you can count on our experience and dedication.

Our immigration law firm can assist you with obtaining permanent residency, citizenship, marriage-based adjustment, work or other type of visas, deportation defense and asylum. An immigration lawyer can also assist your business immigration issues by fully evaluating your case before applying for the appropriate visa. 

Please contact us for more information about your case so that we may determine and then pursue your best option.

With our firm on your side, you will have an immigration lawyer directly available to you. Contact us to schedule a consultation.