What is the TN NAFTA Professionals Non-Immigrant Visa?

This visa is for citizens of Canada and Mexico. The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between the United States, Canada and Mexico made this visa possible. Canadian and Mexican citizens, working as professionals in the business world, can now seek entry into the United States. Our business immigration law firm represents employers and workers in determining whether TN is the best option.

You can count on us to accurately complete the application process and address all of your concerns. Call us for more information.

What We Can Do For You

The TN Visa application process is not as complicated as the H-1B Visa but there are significant aspects of the process that our skilled attorneys must carefully review. We will help determine whether the TN is the best option available given the employment position at issue. It is also important to examine specific applications for possible pitfalls and considering a possible adjustment of status as a viable alternative.  Contact us for more information about a specific case.

Our immigration attorneys at The Law Office of Miguel A. Serrano work alongside global companies to help employers streamline the application process and to ensure you get the professional expertise you deserve.

There is no annual quota for TN Visas.

How Long Can You Stay in the U.S. with a TN Visa?

Three years. You can seek to extend your stay without leaving the U.S.  Your employer can file an I-129 if you are in the U.S.  If you leave the U.S. before visa expiration, then you must re-apply. Call us for more information.

Eligibility for the TN NAFTA Professionals Non-Immigrant Visa:

Canadian or Mexican citizen
Profession found in NAFTA regulations
The job in the U.S. must be filled by a NAFTA professional
Pre-arranged job with a U.S. employer
Applicant must meet qualifications of the profession



  • E-3 Specialty Occupation from Australia
  • H-2A Temporary Agricultural Workers
  • H-2B Nonagricultural Temporary Workers
  • H-3 Nonimmigrant Trainee
  • I Representatives of Foreign Media
  • L-1A Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager
  • L-1B Intracompany Transferee Specialized Knowledge
  • O-1 Extraordinary Ability
  • P-1A Internationally Recognized Athlete
  • P-1B Internationally Recognized Entertainment Group
  • P-2 Performer under Reciprocal Exchange Program
  • P-3 Artist Culturally Unique Program
  • Q Cultural Exchange
  • R-1 Temporary Religious Workers

IMMIGRANT VISAS: Permanent Residence Via Employment

  • EB-4


  • J-1


  • B-1


  • F-1
  • M-1








Which Forms Are Submitted for the TN Visa?

I-129 Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker

DS-160 Online Application for a Non-Immigrant Visa

I-94 for Spouses and Dependent Children of Mexican citizens


Regardless of your immigration concern, you can count on our experience and dedication.

Please contact us for more information about your case so that we may determine and then pursue your best option.

With our firm on your side, you will have an immigration lawyer directly available to you. Contact us at 202-330-6290 or info@serranolegal.com for a free initial consultation.